St James’s Church, Twycross was used by the Kendalls well into the 18th century. With regard to the church, in his work of 1622, Burton states that “In a South window the portrait of two men, kneeling the one having an arrow fixed in his head; the other, an arrow in the middle of his body; under which is written, Orate pro animabus Thomœ & Ricardi Kendal. The inhabitants report, that these two Kendals were slain with arrows at Bosworth Field, 1485”1.
Samuel Taylor was born at 10 Brick Street, Bristol on 17 February 1848, and was the youngest of Mark and Charlotte Taylor’s (nee’ Lewis) nine known children1. He was baptised at St Philip and Jacob, Bristol on 5 March 18482. In 1851 he was recorded as 3 years old and still living at 10 Brick Street3. By 1861 the family had moved to 9 Bread Street, Bristol. Samuel was recorded in the census as a 14 years old scholar4.
George Kendall’s will was written in 1566 during the minority of his son and heir, Henry Kendall, by his first wife Joan Jennings the daughter and heiress of William Jennings of Westminster. He was survived by his second wife Mary Repington the daughter of Francis Repington of Amington. She was to remarry Clement Fisher of Great Packington.
George Kendall’s will is contained in the United Kingdom’s National Archives and is in folio 48 of the Prerogative Court of Canterbury wills in the series PROB 11 which relate to wills from 1384 to 12 January 1858. Probate was granted on 1 November 1566.